The other day, during a conversation among friends, these two facts became clear.
- Portugal is one of the most peaceful countries in the world,
- Portugal is currently the best tourist destination in the world.
According to the Institute for Economics and Peace (IEP) releases for 2019, the Global Peace Index (GPI) considers Portugal one of the 3 most peaceful countries out of 163 independent nations and territories around the world
Iceland took 1st place as the most peaceful and New Zealand came in as the second most peaceful country. In contrast, the US is listed in 129th place for 2019.
In addition to being the 3rd most peaceful country in 2019, Portugal was also one of the 5 most peaceful countries in 2018, 2017, 2016.
To see the entire “Global Peace Index 2019” Click HERE
Other Feel Portugal Articles
- MAPS Mourns the Passing of Longtime Board Member Carmen Medeiros
- Emotional pilgrims fulfill promises to the Holy Christ
- MAPS 2022 Awards Gala Raises More Than $150K and Honors 3 Outstanding Community Leaders
- Azores/earthquakes: Situation stabilized but help may be mobilized if needed
- Ukraine: Yaremchuk says Ukrainian people will not forget applause at Estádio da Luz
The Institute for Economics & Peace uses a total of 23 indicators to determine which nations are the most dangerous, as well as which are the most peaceful.
The indicators fall into three different categories: militarization, safety and security, and domestic and international conflict.
“In assessing peacefulness, the GPI investigates the extent to which countries are involved in ongoing domestic and international conflicts.
It also seeks to evaluate the level of harmony or discord within a nation; ten indicators broadly assess what might be described as safety and security in society. The assertion is that low crime rates, minimal incidences of terrorist acts and violent demonstrations, harmonious relations with neighboring countries, a stable political scene and a small proportion of the population being internally displaced or refugees can be suggestive of peacefulness.”
Knowing that Portugal is one of the top 3 most peaceful countries is a cause for celebration.
Pour yourself a glass of Portuguese wine, raise it carefully so that you don’t spill a drop, and enjoy it! Saúde!